Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My First Post


Today I decided to create a blog. I already own a website that I use for my small scrapbooking business but I wanted a place to go where I can just type my thoughts, express ideas, show pictures and just be me.

Today the snow came down like ice and I was locked away in my house. My daughter was at school and my boy Zachary was home with me because he was sick the past couple of days.
My son Zachary is 5 years old and he was diagnosed with autism at 20 months of age. He is an adorable boy and though he doesn't talk much each word he says brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes.
Today's post is about Zachary. After spending a full day with just him and me I realized what a special child my son is. Nevermind the fact that he is absolutely adorable, he is always happy and doesn't really realize how tough the world can be. Maybe this is a blessing for him.
My daughter's words put everything in perspective. When I asked her if she wished Zachary was not autistic her response is, "Mommy, I am happy that Zachary is autistic. I think if he wasn't we would not get along so well and I wouldn't love him as much as I do. He is the cutest, sweetest brother I know." This is my 8 year old talking. How many 8 year old girls love their younger brother that much.

1 comment:

MOTHER OF MANY said...

I feel that way about my daughter who is profoundly autistic. We knew she had problems from when she was 9 months old.I know that she will never know how bad the world can be and how awful some people can be and for that I am glad. She is the sweetest little girl.